Fremont’s Newest Clean Tech Initiative to Support Sustainability
Being a pioneer is nothing new to Fremont. Look at the City’s bold green vision: to cut its greenhouse emissions 25 percent by 2020 from a 2005 baseline. Accomplishing this just got easier thanks to a City team from across the organization led by the Fremont Police Department. Meet Fremont’s Electric Patrol Vehicle Pilot Program, which doesn’t use just any EV. That’s right, we’ve customized a Tesla Model S for patrol operations and are likely the first U.S. city to do so.
Aligned with the City’s recently adopted resolution to achieve carbon neutrality by the year 2045, this pilot program was developed to test the economic and functional viability of an all-electric patrol vehicle. But choosing a Model S wasn’t solely because it is manufactured right here in our city. Among other electric vehicles that were considered, the Tesla Model S is the only vehicle that met the specifications for size, performance, battery range, and safety requirements for a fully deployable patrol vehicle. The pilot program, which aims to reduce Fremont’s carbon footprint, is a nod to City’s sustainability goals and establishes Fremont as a global leader in innovation.
From an economic development perspective, this pilot program is a clear win. With the advanced manufacturing of clean technologies being one of Fremont’s most notable industries, and Tesla our prime example, the pilot also offers a prime demonstration opportunity with one of our local companies. This is a key strategy to support growth — wherever possible, serve as a test bed and demonstrate market opportunities for our innovative companies.
And as if it can’t get any better, the pilot program is even more efficient by aligning perfectly with other City priorities— from a smart city initiative to operations. With our driving innovative mindset, keep your eyes fixed on Fremont as it pushes the envelope on sustainability, innovation, and other emerging technologies.
Naturally, this pilot program has garnered quite a bit of attention. Here are a handful of articles that mention and applaud the City’s innovative approach.
- This is what it takes for a Tesla Model S to become a police car, Mashable
- Tesla Model S Fremont PD police cruiser is complete and ready for duty, Teslarati
- Fremont Police’s New Tesla Patrol Car, NBC Channel 3
- Fremont PD unveils Tesla patrol car, KRON 4
- Fremont Police Introduce Tesla Patrol car, KCBS
- This Is What It Takes For a Tesla Model S to Become A Police Car, Mashable India
- 第1部特斯拉警車 在舊金山這個城市亮相 (First Tesla Police Vehicle Made Its Debut in This S.F. Bay Area City), World Journal
- 開特斯拉巡邏 灣區菲利蒙警局試點電動車 (Patrolling with Tesla, Fremont Police Launches EV Pilot Program [Video]), NTD TV
- Fremont市警方花6萬購二手Tesla改裝成警車（視頻）(Fremont Police Converted $60,000 Second-hand Tesla into Patrol Vehicle [Video]), KTSF 26